Author Topic: Toyota Camry 2005 ABS, brake, check engine light on, ...  (Read 7789 times)

Toyota Camry 2005 ABS, brake, check engine light on, ...
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:16:18 PM »
I have a 2005 Toyota Camry and never had problems with it. Two weeks ago I got into the car, started the engine and the check engine, the ABS and the brake light came on, the speedometer was not working, the fuel gauge was going crazy and the power windows would roll up or down any more. The next day it was gone and the day after it was back again. I checked the fuses, but they seem to be okay. Could this be an ignition issue or what could it be. It does not make sense to me. Yesterday, the lights were off, however, the driver window was the only one working and the speedometer was not working at all. I have never heard of a problem like this before. Can anyone help? What could be the issue and what would I be looking at financially? And would I be able to fix it myself? Please help  Sad

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/toyota-camry-2005-abs-brake-check-engine-light-on/22767/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Re: Toyota Camry 2005 ABS, brake, check engine light on, ...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:56:20 AM »
It could be a false alarm. More than two hundred thousand Toyota vehicles have been recalled for the false setting of check engine lights and other warning lights. Call the number below to speak to a Toyota customer service representative. Give the representative your VIN number (Vehicle Identification Number), and explain your problem to the representative. If your Camry is included in the recall you won’t have to pay for the repair. I'm also working on trying to find out if a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is out for the issue. If I find something I'll post it. Check back at about 5:00 New York time.

1-800-331-4331.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:00:41 AM »
the first thing to check would be the alternator. some times a bad diode can cause all kinds of weird electric problems.

u would need to get a 'load test' on the alternator and it would be a good idea to get the same test on the battery while your at it. autozone will do it for free but u gotta take the alternator and battery out and bring them in, they wont do it in-car. u could allso drive it to a shop and get it done in car but itll cost u a few bucks. or if u got a dvom u can check it yourself. let us know if u wanna do that and we'll tell u how.

if u got a anti theft or security system, especialy a aftermarket one, a problem with that can effect several circuits, so thats another possibility.

theres other things that can cause this but id start here and if it dont work out we can dig deeper.

let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by conniecartech »

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
See below if your car is not included in the recall.

The TSB (below) is out for water intrusion. A tsb is not a recall. It stands for Technical Service Bulletin. Your mechanic (or dealership mechanic) uses a tsb to repair a problem that is unique to a particular vehicle. The water entering your Camry may have contaminated the fuse box on the drivers side, and could be causing problems with the vehicles electrical circuits.  

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/BOBCA ... r_leak.pdf

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
@sleeper: Thanks for your reply, I will definitely call them tomorrow and see if my car is either in the recalls or a TSB. I had never heard of the TSB before, but it would make sense. However, would this also have an effect on my power windows?   Smile

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 06:59:15 AM »
a shop can test it in-car cause we got portable test equipment that we can roll around. autozone uses a fixed test machine inside the store that they mount the alternator on to test it. its a pain to take it out for testing but its either that for free, or take it to a shop and pay for the test. your choice.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:38:45 PM »
Yeah, I guess you are right. So I called Toyota and my car has no recalls or anything on it, so then I will have to get the alternator checked. I dread the taking-out part - but you gotta do what you gotta do, right? I'll keep you posted.  Smile

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
However, would this also have an effect on my power windows?

Any electrical circuit can be impacted when water enters a fuse box.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter