Author Topic: Replacing a starter in an Isuzu Rodeo  (Read 3834 times)

wusaga

• View Profile
Replacing a starter in an Isuzu Rodeo
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo with 140000 miles, and for the past few months I have had issues cranking my car up.  Each time I turn the key, there is a pingling/clicking noise coming from the engine.  I googled the symptoms and realized that it is likely the starter.  Sometimes it cranks up on the 3rd time, other times can take 5 minutes or more to crank up.  I have a dealer who said it will cost $500 to replace the starter (they also told me it is the starter).  Does this sound right?  I may get a couple more quotes from other auto shops.  Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/replacing-a-starter-in-an-isuzu-rodeo/39084/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing a starter in an Isuzu Rodeo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
another thing that can cause this kinda problem is corosion in the battery terminals, or a loose battery or starter cable. hopefully those was ruled out in your case.

one thing u could try when it wont start, is to bang on the starter motor with a hammer while someone holds the key in the start position. if this makes it run, that would confirm a bad starter.

getting other quotes is the best way to know if your getting a fair price. this is cause parts and labor prices vary all over the country, and even in the same town. just know that the dealer is allways gonna be the highest price, if u shop around most likely u can do better.

if u do take it for other estimates, dont ask for a quote on a starter, just on the off chance its another problem. bring it in, tell them whats going on, then let them troubleshoot it and see what they come up with.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

wusaga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
Thank you for the insight connie!

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »
your welcome. :) post back and let us know how it turns out.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter