Author Topic: How to read check engine codes without scan tool cavalier 95  (Read 3224 times)

How to read check engine codes without scan tool cavalier 95
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:44:44 PM »
hi
i recently a cavalier 1995, everything is fine...starts like a charm...bur sometimes when i m driving it stops...and i have a check engine light...
i m not able to restart the car but if i wait a couple of minutes it starts again like a charm.
is it a procedure to jump my OBD1 to be able to read the error codes?
thanks

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/how-to-read-check-engine-codes-without-scan-tool-cavalier-95/19368/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to read check engine codes without scan tool cavalier 95
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »
Hello.  Click on following link or copy and paste.  It will give procedure  and the code meanings.

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »
i have a 16 pins plug...but OBD2 reader can t read...thanks

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »
You may need to take it to a dealer.  In 95, they has some vehicles that had the OBDII connector, but was the OBD1 system.  We had a few 95 S10 pickups and we had to purchase the adapter to read these codes.  Someone that works at a GM dealer may see this and help you more.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »
Well, lets do some basic troubleshooting first. We may be able to clear this problem without codes. Your particular vehicle has issues with coils, ignition modules, and crank sensors. When it stalls check:

If spark is reaching all the plugs.
Fuel is reaching all the plugs.
All the injectors are firing.

When things cool down and the car starts hook up a fuel pressure guage and drive the car. Note if the pressure stays constant just before it stalls. If it does then its not a fuel issue. Sounds like an ignition/spark issue to me. Most Walmart stores sell a reader that will read OBD I and II systems for under $60.00. A good investment especially if you plan on doing you're own repairs.

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
Hey 68-Z.  Problem with  Wal-Mart scanners is they will either read OBD1 or OBDII.  They can not read certain 95 GM vehicles.  They have the connection for OBDII but actually will read OBD1 codes.  The two systems are not interchangable unless you have the adapter that GM sells specifically for that system.  95 was their cross over year and they did strange things.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via stumble Share via twitter