Author Topic: can a catalytic converter go bad and how would my car act  (Read 7780 times)

can a catalytic converter go bad and how would my car act
« on: May 02, 2004, 02:56:13 PM »
if it did?

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/can-a-catalytic-converter-go-bad-and-how-would-my-car-act/3155/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:17:22 PM »
Yes, the cat converter can fail in several ways. It can be restricted, poisoned, or corroded through. If restricted you will experience an obvious loss of power and speed.  In most cases your Check Engine light should come on and the computer codes would point you to the emissions system.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 06:50:15 PM »
I was racing in my car and hit a rock or something in the road. My car wouldnt start. So I put it in the shop and the converter was bad. It became clogged and caused the engine not to start.

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 07:29:28 PM »
my car hesitates/chugs as i shift thru the gears and accelerate. if i really baby the clutch and gas while accelerating, i can avoid the 'chug'. i also notice that when the car is cold, i can pretty much run thru the gears without babying it and it wont hestitate/chug.
i punched a hole in the converter. i found  very small chalky type(for loss of a better description) particles. my friends told me that there should be larger, kitty litter type particles more losely packed...........?

my check engine light hasn't come on..thus not allowing me to have it hooked up to a monitor/computer to test.

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 08:14:02 PM »
Your friends know a lot about cat converters.  What advice did they give you?

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 06:28:16 AM »
they suggested that i get a 'test pipe' to install in place of the converter and see if that solves the problem.

does it sound like that could be the problem and is the contents suppose to be like they said?

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 11:09:54 AM »
The 'test pipe' is a good idea.  I don't recommend it to most people because they don't do this kind of troubleshooting themselves.  But if you can do it, it is a good test of your converter.

Cat converter possibly bad
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 10:04:15 PM »
Gentlemen, the cat-converter is filled with a carbon based material ranging from 1/8" to 1/4" particals.  These particals react (a chemical reaction occurs)with the exhaust gases resulting in H2O-water and CO2-Carbin Dioxide.  If you fuel up with leaded fuel by accident, you will ruin the carbin particals and cause the converter to clog up. If this happens, what you will experience is a gradual loss of power. Eventually the clog will get to the point where the converter will not allow any gases to escape. With oout any where for the exhaust to go, the engine will not start or run. Depending on the severity of the clogging, the loss of power, from first sign of it to complete engine failure can be from 3 days to two weeks. In rare cases i've seen it last a month. Other contaminants can cause the converter to clog up. Other problem that may occur are physical damge to the converter. Good luck. Oh the test pipe is not neccessary if you just check it in your driveway. Just disconnect the converter form the engine side and start the engine. It will be loud, but you can just test it there without driving it. Again Good Luck.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter