Author Topic: Air bubbles in transmission fluid?  (Read 16932 times)

ARMYtango

• Is that a donut in your footlocker, Private Pyle??
    • View Profile
Air bubbles in transmission fluid?
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
Hey all,

This may be a silly question, and I may already know the answer to it, but would the fact that I noticed a lot of tiny airbubbles on the dipstick while checking the transmission fluid lead me to believe that there may be a leak in the system?

I did notice a little bit of a stain on my driveway, and have not been able to figure out exactly what it is yet, but I am curious if it could be transmission fluid.

It doesn't  look like the fluid is low, as of yet.

Thank you for your ideas in advance!

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/air-bubbles-in-transmission-fluid/30345/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Air bubbles in transmission fluid?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »
which vehicle is this?

the most common cause of this problem is a overfilled tranny, tho it could allso happen if the fluid is too low. it has to be thoroughly warmed up to get a good reading, and that can take 15-20 miles of driving. once its warmed up real good, cycle it thru the gears and leave it idling in neutral while u check the fluid. make sure its parked on a level surface.

if the fluid level is ok u could have a blocked tranny vent.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

transman618

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »
If this is your Dodge Ram, make sure you are checking the fluid level with the gear selector in "NEUTRAL".  Checking it in any other gear selection will give you false readings.  (High readings)

transman

ARMYtango

• Is that a donut in your footlocker, Private Pyle??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »
Connie, and transman...

Yes, it is the Dodge Ram.  I was unaware of getting better readings in neutral, had never heard of that before, so I will try that this afternoon!

Thank you!

Connie,
If it does seem to point to a possible blocked tranny vent, is that something easy to unblock myself, or should I bring it to my transmission guy?

thanks again to the both of you!

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
your welcome  Confused

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:50:57 PM »
I was thinking about that question.  Is it possible that could check to see if the vent is blocked by blowing into the filler tube?  You should easily be able to blow through the tube if the vent is clear.  I would suggest you clean the end of the tube off though before wrapping your lips around it.  Laughing  O and don't do it yet until I get my camera.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter