Author Topic: 96 Honda Accord replace axle boots & upper control arms pric  (Read 2468 times)

96 Honda Accord replace axle boots & upper control arms pric
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
I have a 1996 honda accord EX (4 cylinder) and i was experiencing a clicking noise when turning left and right at low speeds:

I took my car to my dealership today, which I normally do not do. I thought the noise was the CV boot. But I got the left one replaced about a month ago.

Long story short, they called me and told me both axle boots need to be replaced and both upper control arms too and gave me a price quote of $1485

So i called a local mechanic I had work done at before, and he said instead of replacing the boots it would be better just to replace the whole axle (because to do the repair u have to take out the axle anyways, why not just replace it while at it?), and then said he will have to take a closer look at the upper control arms, but overall, without looking at the car, he gave me a rough estimate of $950.

Keep in mind, I live in the DC suburbs, where I'm pretty sure everything gets marked up (I live in the second richest county in the nation). But with that in mind, does this second estimate seem about right?

thanks!

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/96-honda-accord-replace-axle-boots-and-upper-control-arms-pric/21186/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 96 Honda Accord replace axle boots & upper control arms pric
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »
i cant say about the price, cause its varies all over the country, even in the same town. suggest u call 2 or 3 other shops and see what they say, thatll give u some idea of a fair price where u are.

when u talk about replacing the boots i think u mean the cv joints which are inside the boots. hes right, we usualy do replace the axle instead of trying to rebuild the joint. but if u had one replaced a month ago i wonder why they said u need two. hmmm. did they tell u why the control arms need replacing? are u having any steering or suspension problems?

best thing i think is, if u trust the mechanic u used before, take the car in n let him look it over. make sure he tells u why he wants to replace what he says needs replacing. hope this helps.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Re: 96 Honda Accord replace axle boots & upper control arms pric
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »
does this second estimate seem about right?

Big time ripoff. Axles are cheap. Job should be less than half of that 950 figure.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter