Author Topic: 2004 Pontiac Grand Am Windshield Wiper Problem  (Read 6700 times)

msaz87

• View Profile
2004 Pontiac Grand Am Windshield Wiper Problem
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:23:31 AM »
Hello all,

A little while ago the driver's-side windshield wiper on my 04 Grand Am broke. The car currently has a little over 60k miles on it and the wipers were going when the one in question just sort of wrapped itself around the left side of my car. From this point on, the wiper won't work -- while the passenger-side wiper still does.

I consulted my local mechanic, who told me the issue was not with the motor, but the entire "windshield wiper arm assembly." He suggested I seek out the part from a junkyard, as the dealer would be expensive. But my question is twofold:

A. Has anyone had a similar issue and if so, would they mind letting me in on what their process of solving it was.
B. Is there a more precise term for the part(s) I should be looking for... as "windshield wiper arm assembly" does really yield a lot of hits when I look online.

I will return to the mechanic to try and clarify some of this information.. but I figured this might be a quicker and easier approach if the problem isn't very rare.

Thanks for all your help.

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2004-pontiac-grand-am-windshield-wiper-problem/17531/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Re: 2004 Pontiac Grand Am Windshield Wiper Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »
What you are looking for is called a Wiper Transmission Assembly. Unfortunately all I can find online was thru a 2003 Grand AM. It was $114. to give you an idea. It would be cheapest to find one at a junkyard if you can find that newer model which might be hard. There are some online junkyards where you might have some luck. You might have to go to the dealer where I would guess it would be in the $200-300 range vs $50 at a junkyard. Parts like this are usually not available aftermarket until the car is 5 yrs old.

You access it by removing the wiper arms and trim panel right below the windshield. Then disconnect the wiper motor and you are ready for the wiper transmission. Install just the opposite and right before installing the wiper arms, cycle the wiper motor so you are sure it's in the down position before installing the wiper arms.

Here's a picture of an older Grand Am to give you an idea.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

msaz87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
Thanks so much for the help.. I did a bit of searching and found the following site:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=0

Does that seem to be the appropriate part? The index tree on the left shows how I found it... I just want to be positive this is the right part.

Thanks again for your help

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:27:08 PM »
That's it! Go for it.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter