Author Topic: 2003 Taurus Has Set A Trouble Code..P1131  (Read 4135 times)

2003 Taurus Has Set A Trouble Code..P1131
« on: September 19, 2005, 06:06:36 AM »
My 2003 Taurus with 35000 miles, auto trans, V6 has set trouble code P1131, (Checked at AutoZone) . The Guy told me it has something to do with the intake system.......( AutoZone was not too clear of problem)

Can anyone direct me to what he is referring to, and advise a repair?

The car seems to run alright, maybe a little fast idle at startup. AutoZone said probably be ok to drive until take to a dealer, But I'd like to repair myself if possible.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
                  Bob

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2003-taurus-has-set-a-trouble-code-p1131/8359/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:09:10 AM »
It means the PCM has detected a problem with an O2 sensor.  Specifically sensor 1 bank 1(rear of engine, closest to engine).  This does not mean the sensor is bad.  There is a long test to determine if the sensor or something else is at fault.  The first step it wants you to do is to check closely for any vacuum leaks.  So start there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by way2old »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

Taurus Sets Code
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 06:28:45 AM »
Thank You For Replying, I'll be checking the intake system for leaks.

Bob

Advertisement

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 11:16:36 AM »
I have across a bunch of these in my shop, there is a Ford TSB for this problem TSB#04-17-4. This TSB gives the correct diagnosis path, due to the fact that factory and aftermarket manuals give the incorrect procedure. You will need a really good scan tool like a NGS, no generic OBDII tools will be able to complete the full test, so I'm sure you will be stuck going to a pro. More bad news... it takes 2 hours to run this diagnostic, which you will most likely have to pay for. Then you can start paying for actual repairs.

Now, most of these come down to vacuum leaks. Fuel trims at idle are particularly sensitive to vacuum leaks since the unmetered air is a higher percentage of the total air flow at idle than at part throttle. You could choose to chase vacuum leaks before going to a pro. In my shop, we use a "smoke machine" to pump the induction system full of smoke to quickly find leaks. You could go old school on this one by propane inriching the area of a suspected leak while the engine is running and when the idle picks up you know you are near the leak. The same thing can be done(but less effectively) by spraying "parts clean or brake clean" in the area of the suspected leak.

Lastly, if you opt for the 2 hour diagnostic, do not perform KAM reset or OBDII reset(clearing codes). The adaptive fuel tables must be intact for this procedure.

Good Luck...

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 11:42:21 AM »
I appreciate your reply & being so honest. So guess I better "grease" up, bend over bite the bullet and brace myself for the coming jolt.Modern technology is wonderful, long as its working  correctly, LOL

Thanks again,

Bob

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter