Author Topic: 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition switch issue  (Read 10969 times)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition switch issue
« on: July 08, 2005, 08:41:40 PM »
I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am and recently experienced a issue with the ignition switch. When attempting to start the car (turn key) the motor wouldn't turn over, all other electrical worked. A local mechanic said the security system was activated and wasn't reconizing the key, so I got an orginal key and still no go. I called our local GM dealer and he explained that the key and switch would have to be reprogramed. After a tow bill and a half a days labor he explained that it wasn't the keys that they didn't have a sensor in the key on this car. He said that they would have to hook it up to the computer and get a code to tell them the problem. After about a hour and a half of analyzing the system they still didn't seem to sure. Said it needed a (pass lock sensor) at about 400.00 to replace. Well after all this the ignation switch started to work again. But they explained that this is only temporary and not to trust it. They also explained that some times that sensor will start to read the key again and work, I also wonder how it reads a key that as they also explained has no sensor in it.
I'd be curious to hear another analagy of this whole think.  Rolling Eyes

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2003-pontiac-grand-am-ignition-switch-issue/7688/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

p.hinds

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 08:53:01 AM »
the sensor is part of the lock cylinder,they are correct when they say it will happen again.our shop will usually replace the lock cylinder and ignition switch,perform the reprogram and havent had any return with the problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by p.hinds »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition swithch
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 09:20:23 AM »
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm a little confused when they say it needs to read the key. What does it read on the key, they don't have a sensor chip or anything in them. The dealer thought they did, but when they tried to read them with a scan tool they found that they didn't.
How common of a issue is this ?. Since this happened to me just a short time ago I've talked to 2 o3 other who have had the same issue. Rolling Eyes

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition switch
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 09:20:59 AM »
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm a little confused when they say it needs to read the key. What does it read on the key, they don't have a sensor chip or anything in them. The dealer thought they did, but when they tried to read them with a scan tool they found that they didn't.
How common of a issue is this ?. Since this happened to me just a short time ago I've talked to 2 o3 other who have had the same issue. Rolling Eyes

p.hinds

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 12:18:17 PM »
pretty common on gm n body,malibu and grandam
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by p.hinds »

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition issue
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 02:25:37 PM »
Can any one tell me how to get ahold of a Pontiac customer complaint
e-mail address ?. Confused

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 06:26:28 PM »
Have you looked in the back of owners manual?  I know the customer service phone number is there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by way2old »

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition Issue
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 08:21:35 PM »
Owners manual-purchased used-didn't have one-unfortantly-But thanks anyway, I got the address off the internet. Rolling Eyes

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition issue
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 08:45:13 PM »
After much research I found that this switch issue doesn't take rocket scientist to understand and it's getting more and more an issue on the GM vehicles the size class of the Grand Am.  After talking to other folks who have experienced the problem, replacing the switch and sensor may not be the final fix. That some experienced multiple failures. What GM doesn't tell you is, if it happens to you. It's not to difficult to get it running again to avoid a tow. If you turn on the ignition switch and leave it on for ten minutes, you can fool the computer and it will clear out the problem and the car will start. I had a GM mechanic tell on the hush hush that if it happens again, this will get it started. This was after I paid them 50 bucks for a tow to the shop.  Exclamation

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 09:17:53 AM »
Thank you for that last piece of info, my grand am is sitting dead in the driveway right now.  I gotta go try that, please, please please let it work.

To:trucknfool,Grand Am igntion problems
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 09:00:38 PM »
Just wondered if the trick worked to get your car started. That's how they started my car at the dealership after I paid a tow to get it to them. 10 mins and started right up. Wish I had know that before the tow bill. Oh'well. Wink

Re: 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition switch issue
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
My wife and I tried the key foolin plan and it worked for us but now do we still need to get it checked out or are we fine for now?? And also do we need to get a key pass coded key and how much does it cost...

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition switch issue
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
The ten minute learn procedure may not work if the pass lock sensor is shot in the lock cylinder.  You may have gotten lucky because the pass lock system was timed out for 10 minutes and happened to be able to read from the sensor on the next ignition cycle after the timer expired.  You can't fool the computer.  It either gets the signal from the pass lock sensor or it doesn't.  You just got lucky.

Closed due to thread being old and no feedback.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by discretesignals »

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via stumble Share via twitter