Author Topic: 2002 Mercury Mountaineer Timing chain - please help!!  (Read 7153 times)

Tareia

• View Profile
2002 Mercury Mountaineer Timing chain - please help!!
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
Hello all, I have a quick question.  I have a 2002 Mercury mountaineer and I was just told that the timing chain is causing my truck to make a rattling noise and that it needs to be replaced.  I am currently in bewtween jobs and I was told that it can be pretty expensive to repair.  Any ideas on what I should do?  Does it take an experienced mechanic to make this kind of repair or is it something I could do myself? Is is even worth it? Thanks!

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2002-mercury-mountaineer-timing-chain-please-help/30276/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Tareia »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Mercury Mountaineer Timing chain - please help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
Which engine do you have in it?  Each engine has its own unique things to do to repair the noise.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Tareia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »
It's a V engine, I'm not sure of anything beyond that.  It rattles when it's driven and I'm not sure how long it will last.

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
V-8 or V-6?

Does it rattle only when the engine is running?  Does it rattle when you are stopped at a light or rattle when you are cruising only?  

If the rattling noise is coming from behind the timing cover, it could be a worn out chain guide or a hydraulic chain tensioner is faulty.  If the oil hasn't been changed as it should, you could have sludge built up inside the engine blocking the port that feeds the chain tensioner.  Usually there is a reason a chain goes slack on one of those and the cause has to be determined.

The chain will probably stay on, but there is a possibility it could jump teeth or the chain could rub a hole through the cover.  Its not something you shouldn't let go to long if that is the problem.

Servicing a timing chain isn't something for a novice.  It may require special tools to position the camshafts and there are a lot of procedures that have to be performed according to the manufacture.  Replacing the chain assembly should be left to a licensed professional mechanic.

If you have a V-8 or 4.6L, you can see you have to take the timing cover and valve covers off to get to the chain assemblies.  The  camshafts have to be held with a special tool and the shaft have to be positioned  (timed) properly when the chains are reinstalled or the engine won't run.

The V-6 or 4.0L pretty much has the same set up.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by discretesignals »

Tareia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant to type "V8".  It rattles all the time, when it's cruising and when stopped.  So are you saying that it may be the timing chain or could it be something else?  I had it looked at by a mechanic and he said it was the timing chain.  Is this something that needs to be fixed immediately or can I drive it for a while?  Is it usually expensive to fix? The guy told me it would probably cost like $1700 to repair.

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »
bump...I added to my previous response.   Very Happy

Tareia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »
Thanks so much for your help  Very Happy Just another quick question, do you think that it's worth it to fix? Is it usually pretty pricey beacuse it's hard to do?

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »
Yes,  it is pricey because of the labor time (around 10 hours) involved and the price of the parts ($500 or more).  If the shops labor rate is around $100, $1700 sounds about right.

You also have to make sure that the cause is determined.  For instance, if they pull the covers off and the engine is all sludged up, your going to run into more expensive repairs or even needing a new or reman engine.  

The worst scenario would be if it needed another engine.  Could be up to 5K parts and labor.  Then you would ask yourself, could you get another vehicle around 5K in better shape with lower mileage?  If you go new vehicle, you end up with car payments.  That is really your decision based on your financial situation and your preference on vehicles.

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
Alldatapro gives 8.9 hours to replace the timing chain.  More than likely the guides are the problem.  As discrete has stated the price, is your Mountaineer worth that to you?  You are the only one that knows the answer to that question.  Do a search on line for the value of the Mountaineer.  Go to http://www.kbb.com and search your vehicle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by way2old »

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
Opps...I guess my parts markup is a little high...
You can't buy a decent vehicle for $1100, unless you take advantage of some old granny. Laughing

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »
removed my price.  that is govt.  Sorry

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
You should find out how to get hold of Way2old...he might be able to sell you some chain parts... Laughing

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:52:31 PM »
Shocked

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via stumble Share via twitter