Author Topic: 2001 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 cam/o2 sensor trouble codes  (Read 8434 times)

2001 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 cam/o2 sensor trouble codes
« on: June 11, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »
Hi.. I recently got this Daewoo, and I replaced a head gasket, and fixed a couple water leaks.

Next thing in line, was to do some test drives... Did some of that, and had some white smoke comin from the tailpipe for the first few days, and that pretty much cleared up. The CEL came on somewhere in there, after at least, probably 2 hours of driving. Pulled the code with a diagnostic tool, and it was the "cam sensor low input"(pretty sure it's P0342) I reset the code, and checked for some connection problems.. And it came back after another 2 hours of driving, ordered the part(cheap, but new), figured "should be the end of this story"... not really at all.

After receiving the camshaft sensor, right away I replaced it. This time.. the CEL came on IMMEDIATELY. Strange? I did some tinkering around, checking the sensors for continuity. The old one had no continuity where the new one DID have continuity. Thought that was even weirder.. So I make some adjustments to the new sensor, maybe a position problem...? To no avail. So next, I tried replacing it with the old one. Guess what, the CEL did not come on right away. Also it's acting like there is no sensor there when the new one is attached. So my first real question to you all is.. Faulty manufacturing of the cam sensor?

Next up, the O2 sensor decided to crap out on me while I was working on the car(CEL blah blah, 02 sensor no activity detected bank 1, sensor 1). GREAT! So, do you thing maybe I did something wrong with the battery disconnecting/reconnecting while doin the work? Also is "sensor 1" the sensor on the cat, or after?

That's all I have to ask for now, thanks for reading my EXTENSIVE post!

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2001-daewoo-lanos-1-6-camo2-sensor-trouble-codes/26531/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 cam/o2 sensor trouble codes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:10:43 PM »
It is possible that you got a defect.  

You can check for power and ground on the connector for the cam sensor coming from the engine controller.  Two of the wires should have 12VDC or 5VDC on them with the ignition on.  The third wire should have ground.  You can actually test the cam sensor to see if it is toggling the 5 volts to ground when the interrupter passes over it while cranking the engine.  You have to back probe the connector at the 5 or 12VDC signal circuit to the computer and the ground circuit with a volt meter set on DC volts.  You might have to turn the engine by hand and watch the meter go from 5V or 12V to 0v.  It produces a digital signal because it is a hall effect sensor.  Most of the time the signal to the computer circuit is the middle pin in the connector.  

Which code did you get for the O2 sensor?  Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one before the cat.

Typical cam sensor signal waveform:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by discretesignals »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »
Quote from: "discretesignals"
Which code did you get for the O2 sensor?  Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one before the cat.

The code for the O2 sensor is P0134

Sorry I was in middle of editing the post to add that code Smile Anyhow, I'll sit here and read it a few times, try to make sense of it, and probably run out there and do a few tests.

By the way.... It runs pretty dang good. It tends to get just a tad rough every so often. Like almost undetectable roughness.

Thanks!!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
So in reference to the waveform you showed.. Am I supposed to see the 5v or 12v pop up for different durations?

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
The code for the o2 is setting because the engine controller doesn't see any activity from it.  It may have died when the engine was burning coolant causing the sensor to become contaminated.

You would need a high end scan tool to view the O2 sensor voltage and check it to see if it is toggling while the engine is running.  The voltage should toggle between 0-1VDC depending on how much oxygen is in the exhaust. The O2 sensor also has a heater circuit built into it, so it starts operating quicker after you start the engine. The heater circuit gets 12VDC from the fuse box with the ignition on and ground that is activated by the engine controller.  Most of the time the heater circuit wires are the same color in the o2 sensor harness.  You can connect an LED test lamp to these terminals in the o2 sensor connector on the engine harness side and make sure the LED is lit up with the engine running.  You can also ohm test the heater circuit in the o2 sensor.  It should have around 3-6 ohms.  

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »
I am not sure if the reference voltage is 5 VDC or 12 VDC on that one.  It doesn't really matter because the sensor is going to ground that voltage on the signal circuit (middle terminal).

When the cam's interrupter passes over the sensor the signal goes to ground so the computer sees 0 volts.  If it sees 0 volts, it knows that the position of the cam is on TDC on the compression stroke for number 1 cylinder.  It needs that information so it can synchronize the injectors.  Another words on start up it will know that #1 is TDC and it can start the injector firing sequence in the engine firing order.

If the computer loses the signal from the cam sensor, the computer is going to guess when to synchronize the injectors.  It has a 1 in 2 chance of getting it right.  Some engine won't start if there is no cam sensor signal.  If you have VVT, the computer won't be able to control the cam timing without a cam sensor signal.  Since the computer is monitoring the crankshaft's position signal, it can determine the cam timing/angle using the cam sensor.

The frequency of the signal will change the more times the interrupter passes over the sensor (faster engine speeds).  As the frequency gets higher the signal actually compresses, but the amplitude doesn't change.   It is just an on and off signal (0 or 5 VDC).  Just like flipping a light switch on and off.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
Ok I'll go check that stuff out, and follow up.

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:41:04 PM »
Good luck and let us know how things turn out.  I apologize if I have confused you, but that is the best way to check the cam sensor and its circuit.  Once you understand what the computer is looking for its just a matter of figuring out if the computer is getting that input or not.  A zero or a one , 0V or 5V,  on or off,  wax on - wax off is what it is looking for.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:45:48 PM »
I ran out of time, as it's getting late, so I couldn't really do much..

*I found the O2 sensor has no continuity, on any of the ohmmeter setting.

*With ignition on, I had 12v power to the positive wire of the cam sensor harness.

I didn't check the ground wire, and didn't check anything else.. Someone showed up, I don't work on sabbath which starts sundown Friday nights and ends sundown Saturday nights.

I'll update sunday around noon or afternoon if i remember Wink

Again, thanks, and we'll keep in touch!

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
So, strangely..

I did not really have time to do more tests on the car the last few days.. But just about 2 days ago, I was drivin around, and the CEL decided to not turn on anymore while engine is running, and while driving of course. It turns on normally when ignition is on, so I know it's working. So in some kind of stroke of luck, my 2 sensors(or ECM) decided to start working properly again! I think so at least. Like i said the CEL still turns on when the engine is not running... So it's very strange

Does anyone have an explanation? haha.. Maybe loose wiring or something I suppose? I did make sure the injectors and few other wires were solidly connected, but that was about 2 days before the CEL stopped..

Thanks again for all your help Discrete.

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »
One of those magic repairs that was done while you were sleeping. Whatever the engine computer was seeing wrong, it isn't seeing it now.  Let us know if those codes ever pop back up.  Cool

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
Cool deal.. Will do! I just kinda wanted to know if someone had an idea why, like as you said before, the water may have contaminated the O2 sensor, and.. as for the dang cam sensor.. no idea! However the car will be gone soon, I'm selling it. Smile Thanks.

hotman85

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »
Ho guys im new here. my grandma has a 01 daewoo lanos, and the cam sensor went bad on it, and the 02 sensor(bank 1) as well. car cranks but wont turn over. after replacing cam sensor. do i first have to hand rotate the engine to line up timing marks before starting? I know its the cam sensor becuse my scan tool confirmed it. PLEASE HELP its getting cold and grandma c

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter