Author Topic: 2001 Chevy Venture No Defroster/AC (mostly)  (Read 4315 times)

2001 Chevy Venture No Defroster/AC (mostly)
« on: October 21, 2004, 10:39:34 PM »
Hi all,

Now that fall is here with its cool mornings, I recently turned on the defroster in my 2001 Chevy Venture and discovered that it was not working very well.  This morning when I put my hand over the outlet vent (top of dashboard), I discovered that there was little or no air coming out!  I have also noticed a "hissing" sound when either of the defrost settings is used (windshield & floor, windshield only - two right settings on the dial).  This sound seems to be coming from behind the center console.  

I had also noticed that several days ago, the AC wasn't working AND had the same "hissing" sound happening.  Since it wasn't that hot out, I ignored it at that time.

So I figured "vacuum leak" on one of the control lines (based on a bunch of other questions & answers here).  

I have the Hayes Repair Manual.  

Here's the problem - I TRIED to get the top-center console trim off, but it would not budge.  The book says (on 11-17) "remove the two retaining screws."  (done) And then "grasp the bezel securely and detach it from the instrument panel by pulling it straight back."  (no luck -  Question  Is there some "trick" to get this thing off, or do I have to just get in there and pull harder?  

I DID get the glove box out and saw a small white lever moving around when the controls were moved between settings, but this lever (arm?) seems to be the one to switch between the front dash and floor air outlets.  

One other note: during my experimentation I did get the air to come out of the windshield duct, but I didn't note the settings of the controls, except that the temp control was straight up (midway between cold and hot) and I believe the fan was on 3 (middle).  I DID notice that the air stopped if the temp control was set to FULL COLD and came back if set to a warmer setting.  But now it is back to NO air from the windshield duct at all, regardless of setting.

So my big questions are:   Question  what do I have to do to get the center console trim (bezel) off?

Oh yeah - the compressor IS kicking on (I can hear & see it).

Thanks in advance,

Greg A.

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2001-chevy-venture-no-defrosterac-mostly/4835/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

Progress Report - Update
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 04:59:42 PM »
Question Any ideas on how to get this working WITHOUT taking everything apart?  Does anyone have any DETAIL pictures of this area?  My Hayes manual shows a vacuum control line that I don't have!

Oh yeah - I DID get these controls to work with the motor off (or on) & have NOT seen any vacuum lines so far.  Everything appears to be driven by a small ELECTRIC motor.   Question Could it be that GM changed from vacuum to motor driven controls for 2001?  (or maybe I just don't have it disassembled enough to see the vacuum lines) The Hayes book (1997-2001) seems to think that vacuum is used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg A.

PS.  AC still does not blow COLD air & I can still hear the "hissing" sound when the compressor is on (AC or defrost).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 06:15:11 PM »
I?m sorry but I don?t have any details on the HVAC set up on this at home but GM_Mech or someone else might be able steer you in the right direction.

Advertisement

p.hinds

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 07:04:11 PM »
since your problem mainly has to do with airflow,start by checking the cabin filters.if there plugged the flow will be low.open the access door inside the glove box and pull them (2) out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by p.hinds »

Cabin Air Filters are OK
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 08:01:24 PM »
Cabin Air Filters were replaced a couple of months ago and are OK.  I knocked a couple of leaves out of them (when I took the glove box out).

Air flow is only a problem when the defroster is set to FULL COLD and windshield duct only.

Noise I hear
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 07:01:29 PM »
I put a file of the noise I hear on the web.  It is kind of a "pulsing hiss" that cycles about every 1 to 1.5 seconds.

The noise can be heard "better" in the second part of the recording (near dashboard vent).  The file is about 1 MB (sorry), so right click to download and then playback from your computer system.  Headphones are recommended.  

http://www.iotestlabs.com/van/AC-Noise1.wav

Greg A

bump
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 06:11:33 PM »
bump

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter