Author Topic: 2000 Dodge Neon Coolant leak?  (Read 3035 times)

2000 Dodge Neon Coolant leak?
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »
Ok, I thought that i noticed some yellowish color fluid in the snow under my car a few weeks ago.  I had it checked out, and they found no leaks anywhere after pressure testing the system 3 different times.  So i attributed what i saw to just some dirty snow that melted from under the car.

Today....on a whim i decided to check and see if my coolant resevoir was low, or where it should be.  Everything looked perfect, except in this little divot area on the top of the radiator there was a tiny little bit of coolant in it...like it either seeped from somewhere or dripped in there.  Nothing was wet around the area.  I know it was coolant because it was yellowish in color, slippery on the fingers, and when i touched my tongue to a drop on my finger, it was sweet.

I used a rag and cleaned it all out, then went and drove the car again for 10 minutes, came back and the spot was still clean and dry..

Please see the attached pic and where i circled in red which shows the actual area in question:

http://tinypic.com/m/72vcz8/4

Any clues on this???

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2000-dodge-neon-coolant-leak/23538/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Re: 2000 Dodge Neon Coolant leak?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
I'm sorry, but I see no sign of a yellow substance leaking within the red circle.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

losmaster

• View Profile
Re: 2000 Dodge Neon Coolant leak?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
You might wanna loosen the clamp and slide that upper radiator hose back away from the stop a little.....looks like it may be pushed up too far on the radiator inlet there.....this causes the end of the hose to bell out and might leak a little.....other wise, can't see the entire upper tank seam, but what we can see, looks pretty good....no real signs of leaking....some other places to look for leaks are around the thermostat housing area......and seepage from behind the timing belt cover area, which may indicate a water pump leak....a good idea is to lay some cardboard under the engine area....see if any fluids drip on the cardboard overnight.....might help pinpoint the location  Smile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by losmaster »

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via stumble Share via twitter