Author Topic: 1998 Nissan Maxima GXE.....Oil Leak Problem?  (Read 3757 times)

1998 Nissan Maxima GXE.....Oil Leak Problem?
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:35:07 AM »
Hi,
I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 3.0l v6 engine with 160k and its been dripping oil recently, I took it to the mechanic and he told me that it could be a gasket seal problem and so he replaced it and that really didn't stop the leak. It continued and when I took it back he said that it could be that I have a crack in the engine block, I am really scared because that would mean a lot of money to get it fixed or replaced. I dont know whether he is certain about the engine block because he didn't take off the engine to locate the crack, it's an educated guess. Based on what I read online oil problems can occur in many ways, including reverse pressure from "line kinks" or problems with "pvc", I am leaving the hopes of my car up to you pros because you know more about internals than I do. I might have to sell my car if worst comes to worst that is why I need your help.

Thanks,
Steven Solomon

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/1998-nissan-maxima-gxe-oil-leak-problem/25151/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 1998 Nissan Maxima GXE.....Oil Leak Problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:16:45 AM »
your right, theres a gazillion things that can cause a oil leak. and it can be a tricky thing to pin point. but theres a better way to do it then guessing at what it 'could be.'

what we'd do in the shop is thoroughly clean the engine with degreaser or engine cleaner and let it dry. then u pour in a small bottle of florescent leak detection dye, start the engine and let it run while u inspect the engine with a uv lite. when u see a place thats glowing bright yellow or green u found the leak. of course it could be leaking from more then one place so its importent to do a careful check.

u can do this yourself if u got a uv lite, and u can get the dye and cleaner at most parts stores. its a lot easyer to have the car up on a lift but its doable on jack stands, tho messy  Confused

we're a nosey bunch here  Laughing  so let us know how this turns out.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via stumble Share via twitter