Author Topic: 1998 Honda Accord Transmission  (Read 10902 times)

1998 Honda Accord Transmission
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:41:20 AM »
Hello,

I also thank everyone's contribution to this forum since it is evident there is something special about the way the members of this forum help each other.

This is my first post so please bear with me if I am lacking any critical information. I've had my 98 Honda Accord since 2001. Never really had any problems. The only maintenance done to the car is oil change and minor tune ups. When I brought the car in to have the oil change today, I thought I'd have the transmission fluid drained and filled since this was never done in the past and the car now has 143,000 miles. Getting the transmission fluid flushed is one of the many preventive maintenace actions I was going to do to prolong the longevity of the car.

While the car was being serviced, the service manager called me to tell me that they the car has a transmission problem. This was really a surprise Shocked  to me since the car has been running good. I mean it is not running excellent, since I do feel like has lost some power throughout the years. But the car's condition showed no evidence of a deteriorating transmission. I mean, I noticed that there is a slight shifting problem before I took the car in, but it is very unnoticeable. Now the service manager is telling that I need a new transmission.

When I picked the car, the service manager again told me that when I drive the car. it is going to feel like the transmission is slipping because of the new fluid. Finally, when I drove the car, there was major shifting problems. There were times when I was accelerating from 40mph and the car would rev up, which appears to be the transmission trying to shift from 3rd to 4th gear but it is not able to. Same with the case when I slowed down, it seems that the cars shifting was delayed. This was all apparent after driving a few miles away from the dealership. I also smelled burnt clutch. In addition, the check engine light also came on.

I took the car back to the dealership and once again the service manager said that what I had experienced is normal. He said that things would go back to normal if the car is driven. But I refuse to drive the car the way it behaved after the transmission fluid drain/fill because I feel like the dealership mechanic might have broken something and me driving the car might further create more complications.

I am also getting the feeling that the service manager thinks that I brought the car with an exisiting transmission problem because he says that no-one gets a transmission job unless there is an apparent transmission problem.

I left the car to the dealer so that a transmission mechanic can further look into the problem so I'll find out what the dealer has to say tomorrow.

Would a simple transmission fluid drain and fill cause the problem I described? Is the service manager telling the truth that it is normal for the tranmission to slip?

Any ideas or opinion is greatly appreciated.

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/1998-honda-accord-transmission/16050/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Re: 1998 Honda Accord Transmission
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 03:33:23 AM »
Here is my opinion about trans services:

I have found that when you do a tranny service, you have a 50/50 chance of increasing the trans longevity, or decreasing it's life expectancy.

It's hard to explain. If the transmission is already failing, a fliud change will excell its deterioration. However, if things are good internally, fluid changes will only benefit it.

Believe me, I HATE to agree with a dealership, but he may not be pulling your leg. I have personally seen both situations on more than one car. Before I ever touch a transmission, I give the customer a complete explaination of what to expect.

I would like to know what code the CEL is throwing.

As a last chance effort to save the trans (short term), remove a quart of tranny fkuid and add a quart of "Lucas" brand tranny fluid additive. I have have a lot of good luck with this stuff.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Write back and let us know how it turns out.

-RickyRiot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:03:27 AM »
Thanks for the feedback RickyRiot.

I finally got the car back today and the dealer ended flushing the tranny twice before the auto-techs figured out that the transmission fluid pump was clogged up after draining it the first time. Everything seems to be back to normal.

The service manager also recommended for me to do come in for another transmission oil change after 15,000 miles. Do you folks think this is necessary? Also, what other future maintenance should I do? I have not done any major preventive maintenance done to the car.

losmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 07:32:10 AM »
Ricky's right about the job being hit and miss, and a lot of shops won't touch it, under these conditions, if you #1.- wait too long to have the trans. serviced or #2.- wait till you already have a problem.  "Sometimes" a filter/fluid exchange can make it start slipping , shifting funny, and require some "real" trans. work. Your transmission is a lot like your engine, most have a "serviceable filter" and a lot of shops have the equipment to "completely change the old fluid", not only in the pan(if it has one) but the torque converter as well,(usually 10-15 qts of oil for most). Even though automatic transmission service intervals are fewer and farther between than the vehicles engine, its still very important "not" to neglect this, especially if you use the vehicle for "rough service" = delivery/service vehicle, lots of stop and go driving, pulling trailers etc...A lot of folks around here(farmers) would also add an extra cooler out in front of the radiator, to help alleviate some of the heat load caused by pulling loads. People doing long distance,open hwy travelling, where the trans gets in OD and stays there for the most part, for hours of driving, can go the longer intervals. Its "all" in that "little book", that stays in the glove box, that never has a crease in a page, some still wrapped neatly in plastic, whats that thing called? Laughing ... Take it in the house some night and read through it, its very interesting   Cool
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by losmaster »

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:24:58 AM »
Yeah agreed. 50/50 on a late fluid change. Not at all an Auto tranny expert but from what I hear, the wore bands, etc actually rely on the grit in the old fluid after time. Then you switch back to fresh fluid, problems arise.

To keep it running smoothly, most manufacturers recommend tranny service every 30,000 miles. Some more frequent.

There are stories of crooked used car salesman putting sawdust in slipping trannies just for a short time improvement to get the car off the lot. Cool

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »
Hey Grease, you could market a product called Transmission Slip Eliminator with Saw Dust technology.  I guaranty it would sell like hot cakes.  I can see it now sitting next to Motor Honey.... Laughing

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter