Author Topic: 1998 Ford Taurus Power Steering Pump  (Read 6875 times)

1998 Ford Taurus Power Steering Pump
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
i have a 1998 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 EFI U code engine

a few days ago my pump started growling so naturally i checked the fluid it was only a tad bit low nothing severe enough to make it growl the next day it seemed okay only growling a little, tonight however even though the power steering pump is full of fluid it is still growling just sitting at idle without turning the wheel, it gets much worse of course when i turn the wheel, if you look inside the pump resevouir the fluid has a fair amount of foam but remains full, every once in a while while driving this way after making your turn as the wheel comes back to the center position you hear a slight rubbing type sound from the front of the vehicle, my question is before i go and replace the pump (which isnt leaking just growling) is there anything anyone here can think of i may have missed, im not technically a car expert but i do all my own repairs and have worked on my own cars for going on 20 years, just wanting  a second opionion or perhaps someone who knows more about fords may thunk of something else it could be before i got spend $50 and 2 hours replacing the pump, from what i understand this car is equipped with some sort of filtering mechanism could that have something to do with it?, my other question would be if anyoe thinks it may have somehthing to do with the power steering rack going bad, the wheel doesn't fell jerky or anything when i turn it just want another opinion before i replace the pump and then end up perhaps needing a rack anyway, thanks in advance for any opinions you may have

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/1998-ford-taurus-power-steering-pump/23381/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

losmaster

• View Profile
Re: 1998 Ford Taurus Power Steering Pump
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:05:30 PM »
I'd say check all your hoses 1st...then the output shaft seals on the rack/pinion..for any smallish leaks.....especially the cooler/return hoses(if it has a cooler).....doesn't take much of a leak in the wrong place, to suck air into the system....we had a Taurus come in awhile back with a similar issue.....pump noise,foamy fluid(air in the fluid), no obvious major leaks......except the customer had already put another pump on this one(thinking that was the problem).....turned out to be a small leak in the cooler return hose(also sucking a small amount of air into the system).....seems like it was kind of a pain to see and get to?.....maybe on the right/passenger side of the radiator, behind the grill area.....might have had to remove the grill or headlight capsuleon that side, to replace the hose?....can't remember exactly?.....but fixing this small leak did the trick....the guy still comes by the shop from time to time....but for other things.....the power steering seems to be OK now.....what got me to thinking and searching for a return side leak, was the air intrusion or foamy fluid.....you could let it sit, till the fluid cleared up, run it a little....back foamy again.... This may not be the case here, but its worth a look   Smile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by losmaster »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
ah great thank you for your insight, i'll check all the hoses at 1st light, a very small leak would make since as the fluid was just a tid bit low when i checked it and was full prior, i hope that is the case sounds a bit easier then replacing the pump as well. looking at the free manuals on autozone.com it appears my taurus does have this cooler your referring to it is indeed in front of the radiator i shall check that too, thanks again

Advertisement

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
replaced the power steering pump today after finding no leaks anywhere, however the new pump still growls almost as bad as the old one, but the new pump doesn't have any foam in the fluid resevoir like the one i just replaced did, i am now noticeing even moreso now the pump has been changed and its abit quieter a slight rubbing sound when i turn to the left but only when letting the steering wheel return to its center position after making the turn, anyone else have any other suggestions?

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Have you checked out the ball joints, stabilizer links, and/or outer tie rods.  Those things are known on the Taurus for boots ripping allowing dirt and water in.  Then they cause noises while turned or going over bumps.  Did you flush out the power steering system before replacing the pump?

I have found that a lot of CIII aftermarket reman pumps are noisy.  Did you determine the source of your leak?  Sometimes racks leak, but you can't tell unless you pull the tie rod boots back in some cases.  Another thing to consider is the type of fluid that is used.  Using the factory recommended fluid in those power steering systems can actually make the pumps run quieter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by discretesignals »

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:11:06 AM »
Replaced the rack on one of these Taurus's one time and it took two days for the pump to stop howling when you turned the wheel. I turned from lock to lock trying to bleed the system for 30 minutes 2 or 3 different times, and I never do power steering work without adding Lucas PS additive.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:36 AM »
hopefully the noise stops within a few days it is getting quieter as today went on and i was messing with it trying to bleed thm out and such, the only thing that really concerns me now, is the odd i can only really describe it as a shutter you can feel it in the wheel and the floorboard on the driver side when i turn to the right maybe left it oonly happens when the wheels are at a certain angle i only noticed it as the old pump started howling, i have read many thins about the symptoms of a bad rack and pinion and the car doesnt have the jerky sterring wheel or hard spots when turning from lock to lock,visual inspection of taking off both the wheels everything appearedf to be normal, i suppose ill give it another day or two and hopefully the pump quiets down ill kepp up the post with the results, thanks to all of you for your suggestions

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:31:11 PM »
well unfortunatly the pump was low again today and the noisy pump hasn't quited the fluid was a tiny bit foamy guess when the snow gets off the ground will be a scrupulouse inspection of all the lines to see if i can locate a pinhole size leak, i'm half tempted just to dump in some power steering stop leak and see what happens, ill keep the thread updated

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »
after hours of searching i finally found a very very small drip coming from the bottom of the larger end of the bellows boot right where it meets the rack on the front passenger side, anyone had experience with resealing these. i've always just replaced the whole thing, but in this case a $30 seal kit looks much better then a $527 rack & pinion not that i could afford that anyway, lol. any opinions on this matter would be appreciated, and again thanks for all the help in previous posts

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter