Author Topic: 1992 chevy clutch problems  (Read 6756 times)

1992 chevy clutch problems
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:13:32 AM »
i have a 1992 chevy z71 4x4 truck, an im having clutch problems. i noticed that it was gettin harder an harder to go into gear, an i was told that the slave cylinder was shot. so i went an bought a new one an put it on there an pumed it up till i got some presure, but when it got pressure it blew the side of the slave cylinder out. so i went an returned it for a new one. an started pumpin it up an the clutch resevoir on the firewall went out. so i replaced than an put it on an made a couple of pumps an then the slave cylinder on the bottom blew out again. so i decided to pull the transmission back an i replaced the pressure plate cuz some one told me that it could have froze up, an i also replaced the throw out bearing an the fork also. an i put it back to gether an it wnt gain any pressure for some reason. we kept pumping an bleeding in for an hour an a half an i dnt know what is goin on with it so if anyone can help i would really appreciated it. thanks josh frey

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/1992-chevy-clutch-problems/23479/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

losmaster

• View Profile
Re: 1992 chevy clutch problems
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »
Those hydraulic clutch systems are kind of a pain to bleed out, if the slave cyl pushrod is extended already.....isn't this one of those with the plastic thingy that holds the slave cyl piston/rod in and clips to the sides of it?....On that type, when you install it, you leave the thing clipped(DON'T LET THE SLAVE CYL. ROD EXTEND JUST YET))....open the bleeder screw on the slave cyl.....make sure to keep the clutch master cyl full during the entire bleeding process....anyway.....you open the bleeder.....get someone to just mash the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it down.....when its down, tighten the bleeder....they let off the pedal.....open the bleeder again.....let them mash the pedal down and hold it down.....re-tighten the bleeder screw.....do this until a solid stream of fluid comes out....shouldn't take long as this is a relatively small hydraulic system.....after the last rep of pressing the pedal down, while the bleeder is open.....close the bleeder screw....let off the pedal....make sure the fluid level is ok....then unhook the plastic locking strap from the sides of the slave cyl and let the rod extend into the clutch fork(should be a cover on the left side of the bell housing you can remove to disconnect the strap locking tabs and make sure the rod extends properly into its seat in the fork)....the strap stays on the rod.....I'm pretty sure this is the right procedure for these older hydraulic clutch systems?.....if its already extended but you still have the lock strap intact, take it off, mash the rod back in and lock it to the sides of the slave cyl. with the ends of the plastic strap......if you cut the plastic strap or its gone....don't do the "pump up a pedal and bleed deal", like you would on a brake system....use the process I was telling you about earlier....open screw....mash pedal down and hold.....close screw.....you won't get all the air out of it initially if the slave cyl rod is extended, but you should get "some" pedal and after using it awhile,then letting it sit....they generally purge the air and slowly get a good pedal again.....might have to pump the clutch pedal a time or two, to shift, but it should get better..... Smile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by losmaster »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »
well after i took the slave cylinder back the second time they gave me one that was made out of aluminium, an it didnt come with the plastic clips on the rod. my other question is being that the slave cylinder blew out that one time u dnt think that it might have messed the orings up in the resevoir on the firewall do ya. i kinda noticed that the brake fluid was kinda milky but maybe its the air comen up from the slave cylinder. but thank ill try that i really appreciate the help

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:45:53 PM »

Usually it is easier to bench bleed the entire assembly off the vehicle.  Then install it and you won't have to worry about bleeding on the vehicle.

Air gets trapped in the master due to its angle causing bleeding near impossible.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:53:08 PM »
well i tried the procedure that u guys were explaining to me, an well the new slave that i got doesnt have the plastic straps on it. but anyways i did the procedure an i still have no pressure. i opened the bleeder an pushed the peddle down an then shut the bleeder while the peddle was down then i let up. the first time i did it it was all fluid that came out so i did it 6 more times after that an there was no air that came out. could it be possible that the clutch resevoir could be shot again. cause i dnt know what else to do

losmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
6 times may be a little much Josh....that reservoir is pretty small for the hyd. clutch....hard to keep it full......you sure they sold you the right slave cyl. cause I've never seen one for this application, that didn't have the plastic strap on it Smile

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter