Author Topic: 04 Jaguar X-Type - Coolant Leak  (Read 6750 times)

04 Jaguar X-Type - Coolant Leak
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Vehicle: 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0
Mileage: ~95,000 miles
Problem: Coolant Leak

Recently, a problem has developed where it seemed to get a bit hot and upon turning it off, the fan continues to operate for some time- seemingly to cool down the engine. Realizing that it appeared to have been low on coolant, I added coolant and it was fine for a couple days before I had to add a bit more.

Now, it has gotten to the point where I have to add coolant virtually every time I drive in order to keep it from getting hot. Obviously, it seems there is a coolant leak of some sort, but I do not know much more than that.

Any thoughts or ideas of what might be causing this or how it can be fixed? I sincerely appreciate any help/guidance regarding this problem. Thanks, everyone!

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/04-jaguar-x-type-coolant-leak/25581/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 04 Jaguar X-Type - Coolant Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »
if u have to keep adding coolant, its going somewhere. either its leaking outside the engine or inside it.

if u look around and dont see signs of a leak, u can borrow a pressure tester at autozone or another parts store with a free tool loaner program. pump up the cooling system to the psi for your radiator cap and go over the underhood area real close. under pressure even a small leak will show up.

if u cant find a leak this way, it could be leaking on the inside, which most often means a blown head gasket or cracked head  Sad  do u see white smoke coming out the exhaust? thats one sign of this.

to confirm it u can buy a block test kit at a parts store. this will detect any combustion gas in the coolant, if its there, your looking at a bad head gasket or head. possibly a cracked block.

let us know what u find out.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:05:10 PM »
Thank you very much for your help!

(sorry for the delay in responding)

I did the pressure test as you mentioned and the problem was discovered.

It seems that the coolant reservoir tank connection to the hose was broken, which because it was pressurized, was causing the coolant to constantly escape. Basically, the nub that extends from the reservoir tank and connects to the hose was broken and barely hanging on, which required the entire tank to be replaced.

Sadly, this is only available from Jaguar which resulted in being forced to purchase the tank from the dealership at a $300+ cost. Since the repair, all has been well and there have been no issues since. Thanks for your help!  Smile

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »
your welcome! it sucks paying $300 for a little plastic tank  Cool

topic closed due to being solved.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter